We’re coming into the dog days of summer, and you know what that means: sun, surf, and Netflix binging. The truth is, since Netflix is updating on a regular basis and there are so many to choose from, it’s hard to tell if you’re going to pick a dud or the best thing ever.
You don’t want to wait until you have your popcorn popped and ice in your soda to find out if you’ve chosen wisely. And that’s where we swoop in to save your night.
Netflix Weekend Watch List
This list is set up so that you can find movies that fit best in certain situations. We’ve gathered the highest rated shows in each of these categories to help you narrow down the weekend playlist. Or, finally, find the right filler for the show-hole you’re stuck in. Hey, we’re right there with you, and we know how it is.
The categories we’ve chosen likely cover many situations you yourself will be in this weekend. Whether you’re hanging with your family, friends, or the kids — we’ve got something for everyone.
Top Ten Shows To Watch on Netflix this Weekend:
With the Family:
Going for 9-99 age bracket here. Everyone knows, that with 8 and under, you don’t get to pick shows — they do.
1. The Incredibles 2: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, and Samuel L. Jackson return for the long-time awaited The Incredibles 2. Starting exactly where they left off in The Incredibles, this super family of five heads out on another adventure.
Only this time, it’s Elastigirl’s turn. With Mr. Incredible at home on baby duty, Elastigirl is hard at work to make supers legal once again. But it wouldn’t be an Incredibles movie if things all worked out peachy keen. Once again, the supers have to band together to beat the bad guy. We dare say The Incredibles 2 is almost as good as the original.
2. Coco: Although another Disney movie, Coco is far from The Incredibles 2. This heartwarming story is about family and love. It’s about understanding and never forgetting those we’ve lost, in addition to appreciating what we have. Not only will Coco tug at your heartstrings, but the graphics and animation in this particular movie are also not to be missed. The vibrant colors capture the spirit of Mexico and the day of the dead celebration. Oh, and don’t forget the tissues.
3. Evan Almighty: Released in 2007, this movie deserves a re-watch if you’ve seen it before. And if you haven’t — you must. Evan Almighty stars Steve Carell, as Evan Baxter, who is turning into Noah. You know, from Noah’s ark? Of course, Evan doesn’t believe in God and is pretty surprised to find himself building an ark and taking orders from the big man himself.
Can you think of a better person to play God than Morgan Freeman? We can’t. This movie will teach you about faith and family and doing what’s right. All that and it’s hilarious too. Perfect to watch again and again.
Hanging with Friends
4. Friends: Netflix has 10 seasons of this classic on, and they just never gets old. That’s over 200 episodes with 5 of the funniest and quirkiest people on TV. The fun thing with having so many episodes right on Netflix is that you can pick and choose what you want to watch. Do you like Ross and Rachel together? How about Joey and Rachel? What about the whole “we were on a break” debacle? Whatever you choose, sit back, relax and spend a little time with your Friends.
5. You: This show you may not have heard about yet, and it only has one season under its belt, but everybody’s buzzing about it. The show is called You, and it’s about obsessive love. Did anyone order a stalker? You is one of those shows that’ll have you screaming at the TV. Keep your fingers crossed for another season because this one will have all of you on the edge of your seats.
Making You Think Night
6. The Haunting of Hill House: Now is the time to jump into this series about five siblings and the house they grew up in (for a little while anyway.) Is anyone else seeing a family of five theme? You might think this is just another series about ghosts and paranormal activity, but you would be wrong. It’s much more than that.
And by the time you get to the end of the season and everything comes together, it’ll blow your mind. Sorry kids, no spoilers. Get caught up this weekend because next season has been announced for next year.
7. The OA: The OA has two seasons right now on Netflix, and if you’re not careful, you could very well blow through them all this weekend. The show is that good. The main character, a deaf woman missing for seven years, returns home with no explanation as to where she’s been and the gift of sight.
The OA will have you thinking about time, consciousness, and dimensions in a whole new way. It’s one of those that sticks with you, and you’ll find yourself analyzing every little detail trying to figure it all out. And if you miss Herschel from The Walking Dead — he’s in it too.
Go To Netflix Shows that Deliver Every Time
8. Black Mirror: Black Mirror is a little different, as in each episode contains a different story. All of them are interconnected, however, and you can see Easter eggs from one episode to another. But each episode has a complete story within. What makes this series compelling and always delivering is the story undercurrent.
It’s true that each story is about a world immersed in technology, but the real message of the episode lies in the story told. Without even realizing it, you’re led through a lesson in an ingenious and unsuspecting way. But by the end, you’ll realize the ride you’ve been taken on — in full. There are four seasons right now to enjoy on Netflix this weekend. Plus, check out this season 5 trailer, coming June 5th:
9. Stranger Things: The Collider said it, this show is “equal parts It, Stand by Me, and The Goonies as it mashes up the creepy atmosphere of a Stephen King novel with compelling characters and a strong narrative drive.” That about nails this show, too. These kids have been through a lot in two seasons, but it’s about to get stranger.
Stranger Things Season 3 is coming out July 4th, so you don’t have a whole lot of time to catch up on 1 and 2. It’s hard to imagine where this season will take the crew, but one thing’s for sure — this group is anything but boring. And now they’re teens, so that’s likely to throw in a wrinkle.
Date Night (Netflix and chill, as it were.)
10. Mamma Mia: Mix Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper, Amanda Seyfried, song, dance, and drama, and what do you get? You get a feel-good movie that will have you singing into the next day and beyond. With all the drama and love in this movie, you can’t help but enjoy yourself.
In short, you’ll walk away happy, and isn’t that what date night is all about? So, grab some Sno-caps and your honey, cuddle up on the couch and soak in the fun.
After your movie filled weekend, come back and tell us about what you watched in the comments!