*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Last Kingdom is based on bestselling book series, The Saxon Stories, by Bernard Cornwell. The first seasons story line roughly covers the plots of the original two novels. The second season will cover the plots of the third and fourth of Cornwell’s novels.
The series focus is on Uhtred ( Alexander Dreymon), a warrior on a dangerous mission to salvage his birthright. Re-telling the history of King Alfred the Great and his desire to unite the divided kingdoms into what has become modern day England.
Uhtred, is the orphaned son of a Saxon nobleman, He is captured by Vikings and raised as one of them. Forced to choose between a kingdom that shares his ancestry and the people that raised him, his loyalties are constantly tested.
- Alexander Dreymon as Uhtred of Bebbanburg
- Tobias Santelmann as Ragnar the Younger
- Emily Cox as Brida
- Thomas W. Gabrielsson as Guthrum
- Joseph Millson as Ælfric
- Rune Temte as Ubba
- Matthew Macfadyen as Lord Uhtred
- Ian Hart as Beocca
- David Dawson as King Alfred
- Adrian Bower as Leofric
- Simon Kunz as Odda the Elder
- Harry McEntire as Aethelwold
- Brian Vernel as Odda the Younger
- Amy Wren as Mildrith
- Charlie Murphy as Queen Iseult
The big news is that Netflix, has joined the BBC in the production of Season 2 during filming. The season two of The Last Kingdom will be released late this year on Netflix.