The greatest thing that Netflix ever did? The thing that turned the world around and made it a happy place? The thing that made parents all over the world happy? Enthralled kids? That contract that Netflix signed with Disney was probably the greatest thing that they could have done for viewers with kids… or for viewers that love Disney.
A Matter of Identity
Moana, a great, teenage girl that does not have a care in the world, except for the fact that she has no idea who she is, goes on a journey to save her people. A journey that will teach her what it takes to be a leader and a hero.
One the way she will meet the great and powerful demigod, Maui. Maui and Moana sail across the open ocean to to find the solution to save Moana’s people. During the journey, Moana not only fulfills her personal journey, but she also fulfills the ancient quest her ancestors left behind.
Who Would Have Thought…
While the movie is about Moana and the finding of her identity, there are certain things that we may not know about Moana.
- She is not a princess– despite Disney standards, Moana is anything but a glamorous princess. She sets a standard that inspires young girls to grow and learn that you don’t have to be a princess to be important.
- She will not fall in love– This isn’t a love story, it’s not a romance like most Disney movies. This isn’t saying that there isn’t love involved in this story. Moana finds love in herself.
- You know in Snow White where the animals flock to her? She is able to speak to them and have conversations with them? Yeah, Moana has them as sidekicks.
- Moana, the film, has tradition Polynesian aspects that make the film authentic.
- Moana has special powers, but the real power comes from the ocean, the main character.
June 20 is a great day when it comes to Disney film history on Netflix. Moana is now on Netflix and I know that I couldn’t be more thrilled.
What are you most looking forward to with Moana coming to Netflix? Excited for a quiet moment while the kiddos watch Moana? Excited for a new Disney movie in general? We can’t wait to see what you’re most excited for, so let us know! And make sure you check out the rest of the list coming to Netflix for the rest of this month too!